I'm now much better at packing. That's come with lots of travel, experience, making mistakes and learning from others.
Knowing what to pack isn't aways easy.
For such a long trip, our packing decisions were mostly influenced by:
1. Airline allowances on all flights
2. Extra baggage costs
3. How much we could realistically carry
4. The need to include books and equipment for homeschooling and learning other languages; as well as sports
5. The weather
6. What we could easily (and for not too much money) buy once we arrived
7. Size & weight. The smaller and lighter the item, the higher its priority
Here's a glimpse into what was in our bags.
Our initial plan was to just travel with carry-on. For ten (10) months away, that became unrealistic for us. We ended up with one checked suitcase, one inflatable paddle board for Stella, two backpacks and two two carry-on bags.
We've not had to buy much and there's still some stuff hat hasn't even been worn or used yet. We'd definitely pack even lighter next time around!
Stella & I like to travel. Are you ready to join us? We'll explore new places and foods and improve our French, Japanese and Spanish. We're excited to share what we learn and help to make young travellers even more trip savvy. Are you ready for an adventure?