I'm now much better at packing. That's come with lots of travel, experience, making mistakes and learning from others.
Knowing what to pack isn't aways easy.
For such a long trip, our packing decisions were mostly influenced by:
1. Airline allowances on all flights
2. Extra baggage costs
3. How much we could realistically carry
4. The need to include books and equipment for homeschooling and learning other languages; as well as sports
5. The weather
6. What we could easily (and for not too much money) buy once we arrived
7. Size & weight. The smaller and lighter the item, the higher its priority
Here's a glimpse into what was in our bags.
Our initial plan was to just travel with carry-on. For ten (10) months away, that became unrealistic for us. We ended up with one checked suitcase, one inflatable paddle board for Stella, two backpacks and two two carry-on bags.
We've not had to buy much and there's still some stuff hat hasn't even been worn or used yet. We'd definitely pack even lighter next time around!
I'm all about three things: lists, goals, and tracking our progress.
Our time away is tied to some pretty specific goals:
1. To improve our ability to speak other languages
2. To get outdoors more often
3. To live a simple lifestyle
4. To reduce what we buy, use, throw away and our overall environmental impact. This includes our carbon footprint.
No doubt, we'll mess up along the way. However, if we aren't tracking what we are doing it's tough to make any necessary adjustments.
Here's some insight into how we are measuring up thus far, where we've hit our targets, and where we need to improve.
We'll keep working on getting closer to our targets. For now, we are loving our time in Hendaye and the opportunity to devote more time to what's important to us. A huge part of that is definitely being outside, being more active, and living a super simple lifestyle.
Stella & I like to travel. Are you ready to join us? We'll explore new places and foods and improve our French, Japanese and Spanish. We're excited to share what we learn and help to make young travellers even more trip savvy. Are you ready for an adventure?